Monday, June 1, 2009

Overindulgence

The other day I was working in a community garden and overheard a conversation between a few kids around 10 or 11 years old. They didn't realize that any adult was close enough to hear their conversation. What I heard shocked me. Maybe this kid was just really insightful or humble, but I feel that what he had to say should be shared.

They were talking about IPods and the conversation turned to Christmas....this is what he said--no edits on my part.

"I think I should only ask for one thing for Christmas this year. I was really overwhelmed by how much I asked for and got last year at Christmas."

Are we overindulging our kids by giving them whatever they ask for? Do our kids really need all the stuff we give them?

I often wonder about the amount of toys we think we need for our kids. My toddler is happiest when she is picking up rocks and sticks, playing in water, being pulled around in a diaper box, or just copying what mom and dad are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment