Friday, May 15, 2009

Psychobabble

One of my grad school books, "Solution-Focused Counseling in Middle and High Schools,"fell off of our bookshelf and onto my son's head tonight (don't worry, it's a paperback). While skimming through it earlier today, I was reminded of a few of the questions counselors use to help their clients through the problem-solving process. These types of questions help us reframe our problems so we can more easily come up with new solutions. I usually ask myself similar questions when I am trying to solve a problem in my own life.

Here they are:
1. The "Miracle" question: Suppose that one night, while you were sleeping, you woke up and the problem was solved. How would you know? How would things be different?

2. When is your problem absent or less noticeable? (noticing when there are exceptions to our problems helps us figure out how to solve them)

3. What advice would you give to another person who is dealing with this same kind of problem?

Try them out- they really work! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment